A blog about a first-time house owner learning to maintain his backyard, and thoughts about nature, science, history, and life.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Should I Grow Vegetables?


I don't know what I'll do with the garden once I get it cleared out and ready to plant, hopefully next spring.  Part of that is because I'm not much of a gardener, which is to say, I don't have much gardening experience.  But part of it, too, is that I associate gardens with vegetables.  I'm a picky eater - the pickiest eater I know - and I only like certain vegetables.  I like corn.  I like green beans and wax beans.  I like carrots.  I tolerate broccoli and peas.  But due to my, uh, discerning tastes, I don't use vegetables, like peppers or tomatoes, in my cooking.  This makes grocery shopping easy, but it makes it pretty unlikely that I'll turn the garden into a vegetable garden.  This doesn't mean, though, that I can't use a small plot within the garden for a few vegetables.  It would be nice to eat some of my own green beans!


2 comments:

  1. You have some work ahead to develop your gardens. I know, I started with nothing. I did include a small area for vegetables because I too am fussy about certain vegetables. Here on the shores of Lake Michigan I have mostly flowers. With the lake as a backdrop to many photos, the place looks pretty nice I must say myself. Thanks too for the history of your area in another posting. I enjoyed reading that. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog and for your kind words. I have a post in the docket for next week that talks about my realization that I can't just throw seeds in the ground and wait for them to grow. Fortunately, I have the whole winter to do research, figure out what I want to plant and how to plant it. Your property and garden look very impressive - I'm not sure that I aspire to something quite like that. I'll be happy if I can get some things to grow and make the backyard look a bit nicer, at least for next growing season. I'm glad the history piece is appreciated - I have a series of follow-up posts still to come. -Steve

      Delete