A blog about a first-time house owner learning to maintain his backyard, and thoughts about nature, science, history, and life.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Balancing Rocks


A few years ago, a friend of mine was taking a film class at Cornell.  At the end of the semester, the class had a showing of the short films that they'd produced.  There are two films that I remember...one, not just because it was my friend's film, but also because it was really good, and the other, a documentary about something I'd never noticed before but haven't been able to help noticing ever since.  The documentary was about a gentleman who goes around the Ithaca area balancing rocks on top of one another.


When I was at the Lab of Ornithology last weekend, I couldn't help noticing the balanced rocks to the side of the trail, and the more I looked for them, the more I found them.  


The balancing of rocks isn't as easy as it looks...it takes careful practice to find the center of gravity and keep the rock settled despite its sometimes jagged edges.


The documentary interviewed the retired Cornell professor who does this, and it's obviously more than just a hobby for him...it has a spiritual dimension as well.


I've never tried balancing rocks myself, but maybe I should sometime...just because.



The balanced rocks were everywhere, and the configurations were as varied as their settings.  Here are a few more shots...













No comments:

Post a Comment