A blog about a first-time house owner learning to maintain his backyard, and thoughts about nature, science, history, and life.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Transparency in the Wildflower Patches


Now that winter is here, the wildflowers have died off (except for the thorny plants), and I can see what they've been hiding all this time.  I'll have to decide how to manage these areas, and whether I want to replace the wildflowers with something else.


Can you see the path towards the left in the above photo?


There's a big pile of accumulated branches that I'll have to get rid of.


There's a whole bunch of thorny plants in this patch; I have to decide whether to keep them or not.  There are also a couple of random piece of wood that were tossed in there that I should extract before the vegetation grows back in the spring.


Here's that same patch from a different angle....the growth looks a little fuller from this view.

No comments:

Post a Comment