A blog about a first-time house owner learning to maintain his backyard, and thoughts about nature, science, history, and life.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sounds

Howdy folks, sorry for the lack of posts so far this year.  It's been a hectic start to 2013, but things are calming down.  I ran across an article a week or two ago about people's favorite and least favorite sounds.  Earlier today, I heard quite a few gunshots outside...I guess it was someone with his/her hunting rifle.  This was a new experience for me, after growing up in suburbia.  It didn't make me uncomfortable to hear gunshots, but it was a bit surprising.

What are some of my favorite sounds?  Well, music is probably at the top of the list.  But as far as sounds in the everyday environment go, I have to agree with many of those on the list.  I also like the whirr of a lawnmower, as long as it doesn't wake me up first thing in the morning.  Do you have any favorites that were left off the list?


TOP 10 MOST LOVED SOUNDS
1.Waves against rocks
2.Rain against the windows
3.Treading on snow
4.Baby laughing
5.Birds chirping
6.Crackling open fire
7.People laughing
8.Leaves crunching beneath your feet
9.Cat purring
10.Church bells in the distance

TOP 10 MOST HATED SOUNDS
1.Nails on a chalk board
2.Someone being sick
3.Car alarm
4.A dentist's drill
5.Someone spitting
6.A yapping dog
7.Screaming baby/children
8.Someone talking with their mouth full
9.Someone grinding their teeth
10.Someone's knife grinding on a plate

Full article

No comments:

Post a Comment