A blog about a first-time house owner learning to maintain his backyard, and thoughts about nature, science, history, and life.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Historical Snow Cover

While I wait to be able to upload photos from my camera, I have to make due in the meantime.  So the next couple of days will feature photo-less posts.

About a month ago, I ran across an interesting web site that shows U.S. snow cover maps for the last 10 years or so.  Pick a day in the last 10 years (your birthday, perhaps, if it falls in the winter) and see how much snow was on the ground.  My birthday happened to be yesterday...hence the day off from the blog.  All of my life, I had been hoping for a snowstorm on my birthday, and two years ago, it finally happened.  We picked up a couple of inches from the 24th into the 25th, and another 6 inches on my birthday (the 25th).  It was one of my better birthdays.

I went back and looked at the historical snow cover maps for the last 10 years, all but one of which I was living in Ithaca.  It looks like there has always been at least a trace of snow on the ground for my birthday, and it looks like it averages a few inches.

We're looking at the potential for another inch or two tonight, along with some ice.  I guess we're due, because the snow cover is down to an inch or less.  Before long, we'll be seeing green again, first on the grass, then on the leaves.  But for now, I guess I can deal with just a little more snow.

Historical Snow Cover Maps

No comments:

Post a Comment